Friday, January 6, 2012

Thursday walk report

Thursday's walk took our group of neighbors to 28th Avenue NE, where the road dead-ends near NE 130th Street.

Litter and grafitti have been regularly noted around the "Road End" sign.

We gathered all sorts of trash from the dead end cul-de-sac on Thursday. We also found four scattered and smashed hypodermic needles in a parking lot near the Seattle Preschool.

The area is a bustling corner of business and learning during the day with various automotive shops and the school operating during daylight hours. But at night the area seems to attract unsavory people and behavior, evidenced by the mess we regularly encounter there. Human feces and toilet paper were also found at the location on a previous walk.

Graffiti earlier reported on the dead end sign was removed by a volunteer.

We also recorded fresh graffiti on the rear of the Panos Property building on 30th Avenue NE.

View Larger Map

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

LC Shelter _Meeting Minutes from 12/20/11

Lake City UGM Shelter Advisory Committee
Meeting Minutes
  1. Call to order
Terry C. Pallas called to order the regular meeting of the Lake City Shelter Advisory Committee at 4:05pm on 12/20/2011 in the Lake City Community Center Meeting Room.
  1. Roll call
The following persons were present: 
  • Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission – Terry C. Pallas 
  • Lake City Development Council – Joe Simmons
  • At Large Business Member – Suzy Smith
  • At Large Resident Member – Janet Arkills
  • At Large Resident Member – Chuck Dickey
The following persons were absent: 
  • Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission – Paul LaRose 
  • Lake City Task Force on Homelessness – Melanie Neufeld
  • At Large Business Member and Resident – Annie Stocker
  • Cedar Park – Elena Earle
  • North Council – Cheryl Klinker 
  • UGM Shelter guest - (not yet determined)
  1. Approval of minutes from last meeting
Joe Simmons motioned to approve minutes, Suzy Smith seconded. Minutes from 12/13/11 were approved.  UGM Representative Terry Pallas requested meeting agenda items be emailed to him to ensure inclusion in each week’s agenda.
  1. Community Check-In
Committee Member Suzy Smith reported:
    1. Aggressive panhandling in vicinity of Panda Express/FedEx store.  Would like to identify who these young people are, appears to be a new group.  Business owners fear retaliation if they pursue trespassing enforcement.
    2. Persistent loitering and drunken behavior in Lake City core, particularly in front of soccer store (Sporthaus Schmetzer). 
    3. Group discussed one drunken loiterer in particular (Niko). Would like to return home to Fiji, but does not have proper documentation. Terry asked how UGM can help. Suzy indicated Melanie has been working with him to get papers in order, requested UGM coordinate with Melanie. Terry noted several UGM legal services available to help with ID/passports, including walk-in clinic at downtown UGM facility. David Mace is director of UGM’s legal services.
Committee Member Joe Simmons reported:
  1. Less evening loitering near his business. (Has had homeless encamped there in evenings before and isn’t seeing as much now.)  Thanked UGM for providing evening shelter.
Committee Member Chuck Dickey reported: 
  1. No new info.
  2. Committee Member Suzy Smith asked about overflowing garbage cans on west side of Penos property (behind Papa Murphy’s). Chuck indicated he had cleaned it up before, will call Cleanscapes again to remove garbage.
Committee Member Janet Arkills reported: 
  1. Douglas Park Coop appreciated shelter guests helping with garbage pick-up on 12/15/11.
  2. Email from neighbor requesting UGM be notified of drunken incident outside home. (Neighbor believed 9:10 pm incident correlated to UGM’s 9:00 curfew.)
  3. Suggested UGM put out flier/biweekly newsletter informing neighbors on how to contact UGM when incidents occur.
Discussion ensued regarding city’s involvement. Group consensus that City of Seattle representative should be present at advisory meetings and is responsible for communicating information to neighborhood groups. Committee Member Janet Arkills spoke in person with Mayor McGinn 12/14/11 regarding lack of city representation, sent follow-up email to McGinn, Darryl Smith and Julie Salinas. No response as of 12/28/11. UGM representative Terry Pallas will contact city to follow-up on having a city representative present at meetings.
  1. SUGM Statistical Report
    • 112 registered guests to date, some transient. 40-50 staying the night.
    • Seeing increase in guests: Served between 30-35/ night in the first weeks, this week served up to 45-52/night. 
    • Noted differences in Lake City versus downtown, including: more people in cars, more people with personal encampments they revert to for addictive behaviors (which would be swept away downtown) 
Discussion ensued re: where encampments are. UGM representative Alex Buck is person to contact to report encampments: (206) 498-7913.
    • Shared quote from female LCS guest: “I just need somewhere to be safe. I was assaulted in my tent last night and need a place to be that is safe.”
    • Connected 4 women (2 with children) to Hope Place to date.
    • No male residents have registered for recovery programs. Potential of guests choosing recovery discussed. 
  1. New Business
  1. Discussion ensued re: exit strategy for UGM, future plans. UGM representative Terry Pallas stated UGM has no plans to continue shelter in Lake City area, unless the City of Seattle approached UGM and specifically requested it. Committee Member Suzy Smith noted misrepresentation of numbers and need in the Lake City area. Terry’s hope is that if shelter has positive impact, community would want it to stay.
  2. Discussion ensued re: Services at LC shelter comparison to downtown. UGM representative Terry Pallas stated that UGM is serving fewer mentally-ill in the Lake City area than it does in downtown area. Indicated Lake City area requires more UGM time and resources (such as advisory meeting) proportional to number of individuals served.
  3. Question re: day activities of guests. Entire south side of FS#39 facility cannot be occupied during day, due to pre-existing use permits. UGM has had to modify programming based on use-permit restrictions.  FS #39 use-permit history discussed. 
  4. Lake City Task Force on Homelessness has grant which brings Seattle University’s Nursing School volunteers to Lake City for screening, consultations and referrals for homeless health issues.
  5. UGM case managers available, if guests choose to use them. Discussion ensued re: development of relationships with guests, moving to recovery, time constraints, is UGM preparing guests for the close of the shelter.
Discussion ensued re: Mennonite involvement, Lake City Taskforce on Homelessness.
Summary: Terry noted difference between Mennonite’s philosophy of homeless and UGM’s philosophy, asked if community perceives that Mennonite’s acceptance of homeless has brought homeless into Lake City?  General group consensus that yes, that is perception. Terry noted they are trying to provide a resource that didn’t exist before - asked how UGM can help. Committee members responded:
  • regardless of numbers, the Mennonites/Lake City Taskforce on Homelessness have concentrated a homeless population into one area. Business core adversely affected by this concentration in same area where businesses are concentrated. 
  • business owners support UGM’s philosophy of recovery, but don’t see the numbers/need in Lake City.
  • communication is key factor: Mennonites/Lake City Taskforce on Homelessness appear to represent entire Lake City community, but include representatives from outside Lake City as well as paid fulltime homeless advocates. Creates a misperception that larger Lake City community supports Mennonites’ agenda, when agenda is unclear and under-publicized to Lake City community.
  • Suggestion that UGM communicate via neighborhood groups like Douglas Park Coop. Communication could include anecdotal info about shelter, who to contact in case of disturbances, shelter needs (socks, etc.) or requests for ways shelter guests could help support the neighborhood.
Committee Member Joe Simmons requested that contact information be included in meeting minutes so community knows who to contact and that UGM is responsive.
Terry Pallas, LCShelter Director - 206-501-6554
Paul LaRose, LCShelter, On-site Manager - 206- 388-7344
LCS Shelter Welcome Center - 206-971-3556
  1. Committee Member Chuck Dickey reported garbage pick-up on 12/15/11. Fifteen shelter guests participated. He is planning weekly garbage pick-ups in 2012.
Discussion ensued re: frustration with effects of few on larger community. Line between enabling and supporting.
  1. Action Items:
  1. (Chuck) Will follow-up on garbage pick-up behind Penos properties and continue planning weekly garbage pick-ups.
  2. (Terry) Will follow-up with Paul & Melanie to coordinate possible legal services for Niko re: documentation for traveling.
  3. (Terry) Contact City of Seattle re: having a city representative attend advisory meetings
  1. Adjournment
Terry C. Pallas adjourned the meeting at 5:15pm. No meeting 12/27/11. Next meeting 1/3/12.

LC Shelter - Meeting Minutes from 12/13/11

Lake City UGM Shelter Advisory Committee
Meeting Minutes
  1. Call to order
Terry C. Pallas called to order the regular meeting of the Lake City Shelter Advisory Committee at 4:09pm on 12/13/2011 in the Lake City Community Center Meeting Room.
  1. Roll call
The following persons were present: 
  • Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission – Terry C. Pallas 
  • Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission – Paul LaRose
  • Cedar Park – Elena Earle
  • Lake City Task Force on Homelessness – Melanie Neufeld 
  • At Large Business Member and Resident – Annie Stocker
  • At Large Resident Member – Janet Arkills
  • At Large Resident Member – Chuck Dickey
The following persons were absent: 
  • Lake City Development Council – Joe Simmons
  • At Large Business Member – Suzy Smith
  • North Council – Cheryl Klinker 
  • UGM Shelter guest - (not yet determined)
  1. Approval of minutes from last meeting
UGM clarified a specific format they require for reporting minutes. Discussion ensued regarding what should be included in minutes:  Committee members Chuck, Elena and Janet expressed their understanding that meeting is to report problems and work on solutions, Janet requested that minutes specifically record what is discussed in the meeting. UGM representative Terry requested that resident testimonials be included for the purpose of conveying life-changing events; stated UGM will continue to include statistics of services offered. 
Minutes from 12/6/11 were approved.
  1. SUGM Statistical Report
    • 88 registered guests to date, UGM reports 90% are local. UGM noted it is difficult to determine exact geographical ID, defines “local” as anyone in the area prior to the shelter opening, with input from other homeless in determining this.
    • Committee Member Elena questioned these numbers, said she doesn’t see many folks being served at the shelter. UGM reiterated statistics and noted their open door policy so neighbors can come see guests who may not be visible from windows.
    • UGM reported 10% of shelter guests are transient with various methods of arrival (word of mouth, etc.). Committee Member Annie shared about a local resident referring a hospital patient to LC shelter from NW Hospital. Committee Member Melanie shared that LC Taskforce on Homeless is also referring people to LC shelter.
    • UGM Representative Terry reported 1,003 meals served from Dec. 1 - Dec. 12
(84 meals/day average), 
    • UGM Representative Terry reported 364 bed nights from Dec. 1 - Dec. 12: 298 men, 66 women (25 men, 5 women per night average).
    • Concern expressed that numbers will affect decision about long-term shelter. UGM responded that they do not have a say in the City of Seattle’s decision-making process regarding long-term development of site.
    • UGM Representative Terry shared a quote from LCS staff member: “A male guest that was able to get a job while staying at the Lake City Shelter. He works every day as a bell ringer for the Salvation Army. While he stays at the LCS his is saving money to get an apartment. He has been very respectful and appreciative for the services offered.” 
    • Committee Member Janet asked how many LCS guests have enrolled in recovery programming. UGM responded that no male residents have registered for recovery programs yet, suggested it is too early to record success of recovery program entrance as it will take time to build needed trust with guests.  UGM indicated several women have been referred to (Hope Place Women and Children’s Shelter), including one with four children.  
    • Committee Member Chuck questioned UGM on support policies for guests seeking work or housing. UGM Representative Paul clarified LCS does not provide money for residents seeking housing, but can provide referrals to other resources, including bus tickets for guests to use.
  1. Open Issues
  1. Status update regarding memorial. NW corner of Bartell’s parking lot. Douglas Park Co-op reports picking up trash and beer cans weekly. Memorial there since August, Committee Member Melanie noted Women in Black program and possibility of implementing sidewalk memorial there. Committee Member Annie has seen patrol cars parked there.
Group clarified that memorial itself not the issue - area has ongoing loitering and drunkenness, even before memorial in August. UGM Representative Terry asked what could be done about loitering. Unresolved question about whether loitering needs to be tolerated until relationships are built and UGM staff can influence shift in guest behavior. 
  1. Status update for safety patrol. Committee Member Melanie reported that she has safety walk planned for 12/14/11. A few shelter guests will join and possibly a few from LC Taskforce for Homeless’ network. Melanie indicated they will try to continue this on some type of regular basis.
  1. Status update for litter clean-up crews. Committee Member Chuck has been coordinating this and indicated 9 LCS guests have signed up to help.
  1. Opportunities for LCS guests to participate in community efforts. 
Committee Member Janet reported that Zoe Jenkins, principal of Olympic Hills Elementary, would appreciate assistance with litter pick-up and/or garden work on weekends. Any plans must be scheduled directly with Ms. Jenkins.
  1. New Business:
  1. Committee Member Chuck reported drunken shelter guest in front of Papa Murphy’s Pizza. Asked how to break up groups loitering and drinking. Group discussed issue of loitering -  
Summary: Issue is about how guests spend their time. Committee Member Janet asked what the expectations of shelter guests are.  UGM Representative Paul responded that shelter guests are to clear cot area in morning, keep facility clean. UGM provides TV black-out times to prevent guests from watching TV all day. TV off from 9:00am-12:00pm and guests encouraged to go outside when weather is sunny.  Paul clarified UGM does not “contain” residents, they are free to come and go unless they exhibit behavior that bars them from shelter; UGM cannot force guests to participate in programs. Continued discussion regarding whether nuisance behavior should be tolerated until there is time to develop relationships with guests to influence shift in their behavior.
Committee Member Melanie noted that some communities deal with this by providing public drinking areas to give homeless an area where they have permission to drink, keeping them inebriated enough to avoid withdrawal behaviors.
  1. LC Library staff indicate no new problems since shelter opening. (Heavy computer & library usage was issue for library with past Nickelsville encampment.)
  2. Committee member Chuck reported drug use behind Grocery Outlet - younger persons, probably not shelter residents.
  3. Committee member Annie reported positive influence of neighborhood groups organizing their own safety/litter walks. Indicated that communicating effectively between groups will help gather and disseminate info.
  4. Committee member Elena reported loitering shelter guests. Laundromat owner had to intervene in fight outside Laundromat between two shelter guests. UGM responded that when problems occur, please contact UGM directly with guest names. UGM has discretionary services they can use to help shift guest behavior, such as not giving bus tickets to shelter residents who’ve caused problems in the community.
Several Committee Members responded that finding out guest names is difficult and not their responsibility. UGM Representative Paul stated that names make it easier for him to hold guests accountable. Identifying information, such as description of clothing or shoes would also be helpful.
  1. Committee Member Janet reported overzealous UGM canvassing. Her spouse reported being approached by UGM vehicle and offered “a ride somewhere or a free breakfast” 200 yds from home on his way to a commuter bus line.
  2. Neighbor reported 3 drunk shelter guests on commuter bus from Univ. Dist. lost on their way back to shelter.  UGM responded they do not turn anyone away, but do evaluate intoxicated guests for the safety of the community, referring them to detox services. If guest refuses referral, they are given blanket and food and refused entry to shelter. 
  1. Action Items:
  1. (Janet) Will give Paul contact information for Olympic Hills Elementary principal so he can pursue community service opportunities there.
  2. (Melanie) Will conduct safety walk 12/14/11 and report back to group.
  3. (Chuck & Melanie) Will coordinate garbage pick-up and report back to group.
  1. Adjournment
Terry C. Pallas adjourned the meeting at 5:16pm.

LC Shelter - Meeting Minutes from 12/6/11

Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission
Meeting Minutes
  1. Call to order
Terry C. Pallas called to order the regular meeting of the Lake City Shelter Advisory Committee at 2:02p on 12/6/2011 in the Cedar Park Community Meeting Room.
  1. Roll call
The following persons were present: 
  • Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission – Terry C. Pallas 
  • Lake City Development Council – Joe Simmons
  • Cedar Park – Elena Earle
  • Lake City Task Force on Homelessness – Melanie Neufeld 
  • At Large Business Member – Annie Stocker
  • At Large Business Member – Suzie Smith
  • At Large Resident Member – Janet Arkills
  • At Large Resident Member – Chuck Dickey
  • North Council – Cheryl Klinker
  1. Approval of minutes from last meeting
Minutes were approved by committee on 12/13/2011.
  1. Open issues
  1. UGM statistical report and testimonies:
    • The Lake City Shelter opened on Thanksgiving day, 
    • Meals Served Since Opening 958 (87 meals a day average), 
    • Bed Nights since opening 250 men, 39 women (23 men, 4 women per night average). 
    • Of the 55 registered guests at the LCS, over 90% come from Lake City.
  2. Testimonies:
    • “Rebecca came through the doors crying and asking the staff if this was a safe place that she could get away from her abuser and stay the night.  She had to leave her 10 year old son with relatives just so they could both be safe.  She spent the night and the LCS staff got her in contact with Stacy Cleveland, Director or Hope Place the very next day.” 
  1. New business
  1. Group discussed concern for individuals using LCS services that were previously outside Lake City area.  Concern that individuals from Tent City are coming to the LCS for services. 
  2. Committee members were concerned about concentration of homeless individuals drinking and congregating around memorial of deceased homeless man in front of Pierre Ford.  It was suggested that the memorial was going to be moved.
  3. Group discussed need for continued patrols for safety and litter pick-up.  Benefit of foot patrol v. patrol by vehicle was discussed.  Foot patrol leads to better engagement and relational approach to breaking up groups drinking and loitering.  Patrol by car can cover a much greater area and vehicles can be decaled to identify purpose.  All agreed that a vest for foot patrol or vehicle decals were necessary. 
  4. An inherent philosophical difference was illuminated:  UGM is focused on developing relationships with its guests. The idea being that these relationships will help individuals choose paths toward recovery. Business owners and residents acknowledged the benefits of positive relationships but expressed a differing opinion that a sole focus on relationships can cross the line into enabling. Suggestions were made for ways shelter residents could contribute to the community with the possibility of receiving some kind of incentive for doing so.
  5. Committee discussed possible ways to get homeless using LCS to get engaged in positive use of time by helping support Olympic Hill School with cleaning grounds maintenance or other during non-school hours.  Engagement with Douglass Park Cooperative Monday evening patrol may be beneficial. 
  6. Committee member brought up report of local business owner who was trepidations about making deposit at night after the close of business because of loitering of intoxicated individuals.  Local business owner reports that 3 men who were highly intoxicated were standing near the bank deposit making her feel unsafe.
  1. Action Items:
  1.   (Melanie) Is meeting with church members Friday 12/9/2011 to pinpoint times, dates, and specific persons to provide patrols for the Lake City core.  
  2. (Janet) Contact Olympic Hills School to see if there are needs shelter residents could help fulfill there.
  3.   (Terry) Coordinate with Paul to institute opportunities for shelter residents to participate in the community, such as garbage pick-ups.
  4. (Annie) Will you contact Dave Ross and ask about the possibility of shelter residents joining in the Douglas Park Monday evening walks?
  5.   (Chuck) Has already provided garbage pick-up equipment and has other equipment available as needed. Is also willing to coordinate walks through the area - Chuck, what would you need from Terry to make this happen?
  6.   (Suzy, Terry, Melanie) Suzy offered vehicles and the possibility of small cash to support patrol/garbage pick-up efforts.  Terry or Melanie will contact her to utilize these resources.
  1. Adjournment
Terry C. Pallas adjourned the meeting at 3:08p.
Minutes submitted by:  Janet Arkills and Terry C. Pallas
Minutes approved by:  Minutes approved by Advisory Committee on 12/13

North District Council Meeting

The North District Council is meeting at 7pm tomorrow at the Lake City Library. Check back later today for an update with the meeting agenda.

The February meeting of the NDC will be focused on the urban planning of the future Lake City. There will be representatives of the Pierre brothers there to talk about their efforts to create a master plan for the redevelopment of their properties in Lake City. They are seeking community feedback, so this is an opportunity for DPC to influence the future development of this area.

North District Council
Wednesday January 4th, 2012, 7:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.  
Lake City Library conference room
12501 28th Ave. NE     

----- Agenda Topics -----
1.  Introductions
  • Name and Affiliation

Phillip Duggan, 
Co-Chair - NDC
District Council Members

7:00 p.m.- 7:05 p.m.
2.  City Council Plans for 2012

Councilmember Sally Bagshaw
7:05 p.m.- 7:45 p.m.

3North District Council Business
  • Enhancement Fund
  • Neighborhood Project Fund
  • Election Nominating Committee
  • Bylaws Committee
NDC Executive Committee

7:45 p.m.- 8:00 p.m.

4.  Round Robin Reports
  • 2011 Accomplishments and Plans for 2012
North District Members
Neighborhood District Coordinator
8:00 p.m.- 8:15 p.m.
5.  North District CouncilWork Plan for 2012
  • Update Membership Forms

8:15 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
Contact persons:
Neighborhood District Coordinator
Phil Shack,  Co-Chair
Phillip Duggan

Weekly Walk Report

We've successfully added a Thursday walk to the routine. Since the last report on the 19th, we've had another three walks. Many of the reported issues have been resolved, and some more have been added. Take a look at the issue tracking page to see the issues we've been reporting.

Last Thursday, six DPC members met up and walked the perimeter of the Olympic Hills Elementary playground. We picked up two medium size bags of trash.

The next walk is this Thursday at 7pm. We will meet at the corner of 130th and 25th. Hope to see you there!